Friday, April 2, 2010

On Detroit in Lakewood - 4/01/10



Yesterday was not a dull day in Lakewood. I was out from 3:45 to 5:45- this is the first time I have been out anywhere past 5:00. I started out in Sinagra Park on Detroit Road and shortly after arriving moved to the corner of Warren and Detroit. This is a very busy intersection with both foot and vehicular traffic. Very soon after arriving at this intersection, a Lakewood Police officer stopped to talk to me (and this is the first time I got the privilege of having the lights on top of the car turned on for me).

"What are you doing?" he asked.

I responded, "Trying to spread the Gospel."

He told me I was a distraction and could cause an accident. I asked him where I could go, and he responded he didn't know, but I couldn't stand here. He offered the park in front of the city center (where I started out), so in the interest of peace, I went over to that area. I have two friends coming up to Lakewood Saturday to do open air preaching and after standing at this location, I was thinking about using this spot, but now I may run into some problems.

After moving back over to Sinagra Park, I stood in front of a group of youths sittings on the benches that were talking very loudly and using countless profanities. My pastor had open air preached at this spot one time before and didn't have any problems with the police and I am hoping for the same. If these youths can scream and use profanities, we should be allowed to preach.

A man named Glenn came up to me and wanted to encourage me. He told me he had previously been a pastor at a church in the area but had to leave because they started going into a different direction. That sounds all too familiar.

I also had 3 or 4 people make references to Satan yesterday, including one "Hail Satan." I also encountered some youth that were curious about my sign and when I tried giving one of them a Gospel tract, one said he wasn't Christian and another said God and Jesus didn't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment