Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Conversation With a Pedestrian and Ted - 3/10/10



Yesterday, I went to the intersection of Dover Center and Center Ridge in Westlake from 3:00 to 5:00. After standing on the southeast corner for a while, I gave a gospel tract to someone passing by and she asked about the cross. She told me she just came from a function at a Catholic church. I quickly went through the law and the Gospel with her and asked her if she knew where she was going when she died, and she said she did. I didn't really press it beyond that, but she did leave with the tract.

At around 4:00, Ted walked up to me. At this point, I was on the northwest corner of the intersection. Ted told me he was Christian, and when I asked what kind, he said non-denominational, although he grew up Seventh-Day Adventist.

Ted told me he had read parts of the Bible, but not from cover to cover. I asked him if he had read the four gospels, and he said he had. I made reference Jesus saying lust was adultery in the heart (Matthew 5:27-28) and how the Bible to says to hate is to murder. Ted said I struck a chord with him with lust.

I also asked Ted, "If I had 3 minutes to live, what would you tell me?" Most Christians have a hard time with this question, or they always seem to leave something out in their answer. Ted was no exception. At this point I mentioned how both repentance and faith are both necessary and shared the parachute analogy with him.

If you are on a plane about to crash and there is a parachute that can save you, merely "believing" in that parachute won't save you. You must put on the parachute, trust the parachute, and jump from the crashing plane. In the same sense, we must put on the Lord Jesus, trust Him like a parachute, and abandon our sins (repent).

I handed out 5 tracts today.

1 comment: