Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Existence of God, Heaven and Hell

I have never doubted the existence of God. I remember going to church for as long as I can remember, even if it was in Ukrainian and I couldn't understand it. When I entered my teen years, I started asking some questions about God and found myself drifting away from the Catholic church. Toward the end of my teen years, I had completely severed from the Catholic church and frequented a Baptist church, but I still wasn't saved.

In my early twenties, I didn't even go to church. It wasn't until I was 24 that the Lord saved me. Through all this, I never doubted the existence of God, but I never really seemed concerned about my eternal fate. Looking back, I know I should have been terrified had anything happened to me, but through this, I never doubted the existence of God. I wonder today how many people in the world are in this same situation. I know it is the entire population that isn't saved.

I have heard countless atheists deny the existence of God, but Romans 1:19-20a clearly tells us: "For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made."

Take the human eye, for example- it has 137 million light sensitive cells and that just happened to "evolve" as so many would tell you. God has clearly proven his existence to all human beings- some just "suppress the truth" as Romans 1:18 says.

Romans 1:20b-22: "So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things."

This leads me to the existence of Heaven and Hell. As well as I know that God exists, I know that both Heaven and Hell exist. At some point in 2008 this reality became amazingly clear to me for some reason. I knew I was headed for one or the other, and if you don't know you are going to heaven, then your eternity is going to spent in the only other option there is- Hell.

You may say this is an arrogant thing to say, but it is the truth. The Apostle John writes in his first letter, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13).

I have also started to look at this life differently. James said in James 4:14, "You do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." I know it may seem like your life is long, but compare that to eternity and see how long it really is. It indeed is just a vapor. Not only that, think about an eternity in Hell.

God, Heaven and Hell are all real. If you don't know that you will spend eternity in Heaven, please read "The Message of the Cross." Also, please remember that people aren't going to Hell because of their disbelief in Jesus. Romans 10:5 says "For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them." The problem is none of us have been able to keep the law perfectly.

God demands a payment for your sins. The Apostle Paul said in 2 Corinthians 5:21, "For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." If you have never repented (turn from) of your sins and by faith have placed your trust in Jesus, please do so today.

No comments:

Post a Comment