Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Mistake in Evangelism

About a week and a half ago, I went out on a Sunday morning and stood near a church in Rocky River. I didn't stand on the sidewalk that was on their property, but I stood on the other side of a street facing the church to have all the people coming to church see my cross. This was the second Sunday morning I had gone out on the street.

The first time I stood at this corner, I was engaged in conversation by some young men and one who seemed to know parts well, but knowledge doesn't always save. I'm glad I had the chance to have this conversation, but I wonder at what cost. The second time I stood at this location, someone came out of the church and asked if I was affiliated with their church. I said I was not, and she told me it was interesting that I picked this location and that I should go somewhere else.

I reverted back to my rights as a U.S. citizen and said I stand in various place and I was standing on a side walk. Just because I have the right to do something doesn't always make it the right thing to do. While I won't be standing at this location again, I am grateful for the people's paths God brought me into. I had the conversation with the young men the first time and someone driving by on the second time asked about my cross. He said he was curious about it, and I directed him to my blog. I'm not sure whether or not he ever looked it up.

I know there are going to be a lot of people in the church who think they are saved and aren't. Jesus said in Matthew 7 21-23, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.' "

My intention was to hopefully reach some of these people. Then I thought about how I would feel if someone stood outside my church holding a cross. The words of the Apostle Paul also stood out to me in my reading: "
I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation" (Romans 15:20). I had never been inside this church and wasn't sure of what was being preached inside its walls.

I had picked my spot because of its strategic location- it was at the top of a dead end street which had the church's parking lot in it. The spot was the most appealing because I would hit traffic traveling from both east and west of the church instead of just one direction. Looking back, there was also the sidewalk across the street a block or so away. If I go back to this location, I will stand far enough away so as not to be associated with the church.

Whatever the outcome from being there, it is in God's hands. I hope He will use it to His glory.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a wise decision. It could very well be seen as a confrontation or statement against that church without really knowing what is being preached in there. Now if the author of "The Shack" was speaking there, that might be different - you would have knowledge of something that you were hoping to counter.

    I will keep praying for those two young men, especially.

    Don't quit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I had considered this, however my situation is different. The church I wanted to stand in front of is grotesquly seeker sensitive, the pastors message had been so heretical they've made the "Museum of Idolotry" website. (Avatar on easter, as well as Jesus being the "ultimate fighter")

    I've listened to several messages of his, even ones titled "the gospel" and have yet to hear even a watered down gospel. My only concern is the legalities of doing so, and the time would likley cause a clash with my church times.

    I praise God for what He's doing through you. People DO see the cross brother, and while you've carried it far more than I, I hope I can encourage you to keep carrying it. Lord willing someone in that church, saw that cross, and asked themselves "am I ready?" perhaps even the pastor.

    ReplyDelete