Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What I Used to Believe

I wanted to post the difference between what I used to believe and what I now know to be true. I believe a lot of people hold the same beliefs that I used to.

As many who read this blog know, I grew up Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic. Up until my teen years, this is what I believed. I'm not sure if this is the perception most people in the Catholic Church have, but I believed that as long as I went to confession before I died, I was going to heaven. It didn't matter what sins I committed or my attitude- as long as I made it to confession before I died, I would be going to heaven.

I was also taught that I didn't have to go to confession for venial sins- only mortal sins. The Eucharist also had the ability to abolish venial sins. I thought I could live anyway I wanted and as long as I made it to confession, I was given a clean slate.

Here is what the Bible teaches: While we are called to confess our sins (1 John 1:9), you must be born again (John 3:3) to inherit the kingdom of God. It isn't about living your life as you want to and then "checking in" to get a clean slate. God requires repentance (Luke 13:3) and complete surrender of your life to Him (Matthew 16:25-26, John 12:25-26).

Playing this confession game, I also was never sure of my salvation. The Bible tells us the exact opposite- that we can be sure of our salvation (1 John 5:13, Romans 8:16).

I fear I also believed in "easy believism"- that by only believing I would be saved. I know there are many out there who also fall into this camp. I want to leave you with the words of the Apostle Paul:

"We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God" (2 Corinthians 5:20b).

2 Corinthians 5:21 describes the greatest thing that has ever happened for us: "For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." Repent and trust Jesus today for your salvation!

1 comment: