Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sanctification

I have been reading the first 8 chapters of First Corinthians lately in my effort to memorize Scripture and instead of reading all 8 chapters today, I read at a bit of a slower pace and only made it through the first chapter. I normally like to read 8 chapters or a block at a time because it really allows me to see Scripture in the context it belongs and not pick a verse and run with it as so many people like to do.

What has been sticking out to me lately is the issue of sanctification and how it plays a roll in our lives. I fully understand that sanctification is separate from justification. Our justification comes through the redemptive work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Similarly, people are not striving to hit a certain mark with their sanctification and then have earned salvation- this is not all what I am about to talk about.

The Apostle Paul addresses the Christians in Corinth in his first letter by saying, "to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints." Once we are saved, we will be sanctified in Christ Jesus. I take issue with those who say they are saved but continue to live life as they did before. We are called to be set apart, holy. Now, I'm not saying that a certain level of sanctification will save you- simply that it will be there as a result of being saved.

Verse 30 of chapter one goes on to say, "And because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption." Christ became sanctification for us. How can we have the imputed righteousness of Christ applied to us, but not the sanctification?

I write this post in the same manner Paul wrote First Corinthians- as a rebuke. So many people who call themselves saved don't live changed lives. Again, I understand that our sanctification doesn't save us, but one can't go to the other of extreme, either. Just because one can't quantify the amount of sanctification doesn't give you the right to write it off.

I often times feel as the Apostle Paul does in the opening verse of Chapter 3: "But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ." Paul couldn't address people inside the church as "spiritual people." That still holds true today- many inside the church can't be addressed that way.

These would be your "fanatics" today. We are called such because there are so many people who profess the name of Christ but are lukewarm. We are the exception, not the norm.

Different things stick out to me at different times in Scripture, often in the same chapters of the same book. I'm not sure who I'm writing these for, but I wanted to pen my thoughts and publish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment