Sunday, October 3, 2010

God's Hand in My Job Situation

The past few months have been pretty trying on me. In August, I took a position at a call center. There was a 3 week introductory training period and there was one other person training with me. On the first or second day, my new co-worker asked me what kind of movies or TV shows I like, and I said I really don't watch either. He asked what I do like to do, and I said I like to read- the Bible.

This was my swing from the natural realm to the spiritual realm. My co-worker had told me that he grew up with a Christian background but didn't currently go to church. He told me he was looking for something in between Christianity and either Buddhism or Hinduism (I can't remember exactly).

I'm not sure exactly what I shared with him about (it was over 2 months ago), but I do remember giving him a gospel tract and telling him to check out this blog and read the message of the cross on this blog (which has a gospel presentation). He told me he would, and no more than a day or two later, he was terminated because he showed up late twice.

Later on that week or early the next week, I gave my supervisor a gospel tract. She told me she knew God existed and that He loved her. After reading the tract, she told me what it said was scary. At this point, I clearly explained the gospel to her, including substitutionary atonement. She then told me she would like to talk about God daily.

On my third week at this job, I had to quit this job because they wanted me to violate my ethics. I don't want to go into detail about this, but I wasn't going to say what they wanted me to say. I decided on Wednesday, in my third week at this job, that I was going to quit. I called the attendance line on Thursday to report I was coming in and I sent my supervisor an email explaining why. I told her I hoped she would take to heart what I had explained to her about the gospel.

I quit this job without having anything else lined up, but I just knew I couldn't stay at this job and violate my ethics and conscience. My wife said she understood why I made the decision I made, but she was also frustrated. She told me if I didn't have a new job by the end of the week (and it was already Thursday) that I had to go to a temp agency. I was hoping to find a permanent, full time job, but if I had to, as a last resort, I told my wife I would go to a temp agency. Well, I was at my last resort.

I prayed a lot about the situation Thursday and I hadn't a clue what was going to happen next. Then on Friday, I saw a job posting for a marketing/sales job. I was offered an interview and went in that day. The president of the company asked me if I was working, and I told him that I had been, but I had to quit and why.

I knew this interview was my last chance and wasn't sure what was going to happen. The president of the company had me take a typing test, and after talking a bit more, offered me the job on the spot. After leaving, I called my wife, told her I got a job and I knew it was God that orchestrated it.

I started the following Monday, and after talking to the person I was taking over for, found out he was a Christian. I told him that I briefly had thoughts about going into ministry, and he told me he had had the same thoughts. More than that, he was leaving in a week to start a job at a call center. I couldn't believe the coincidences. He was taking this job as an entry point into a company and hopes to move up quickly.

He told me that he had tried sharing his faith with his co-workers previously. I didn't get into specifics about his method of sharing, but I did tell him I really liked Way of the Master. I felt a real urgency to share at my previous job and as it turns out for a good reason- my stay there was short.

I haven't been as up-front about my faith at this job and I'm not sure why. Perhaps this is the reason: I seem to have sparked someone if not multiple people's curiosity where I work about my evangelism. I know at least one person, if not multiple people where I work have viewed my blog, read the message of the cross, and have even read the extended version at my church's website (or at least clicked the link to go there).

Not only that, but there are a lot of return visits. My hope is that they will continue to visit this blog and one day ask me about it. I also have the foundation laid before me. For here the saying holds true, "One sows and another reaps" (John 4:37).

I also hope I am not written off as fanatical- for, "What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes" (James 4:14). It may seem like we have a long time to live here on earth, but it will only be vapor compared to eternity. I hope those reading this will be spending eternity with our Lord. Eternity is a long time to spend in hell.

A co-worker asked me last week what I like to do (since I don't watch much TV) and I again said read the Bible. I'm not sure whether the fact that I am the "cross guy" is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that no one talks about or not. I do know this, though, I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes (Romans 1:16).

I am entering my fourth week at this job, and God-willing, I will be able to stay at this job. I had a temporary job in July at a marketing company that I hoped would turn into full time employment. No matter how hard I seemed to try at that job, I just could not seem to do what they expected of me. I prayed constantly about it and asked God to help me achieve success, but I ended up being released from the temporary job shortly after I started.

It was difficult for me at the time when I was let go, but looking back, I know had I stayed there I wouldn't have been able to share the gospel with the others that I have. The gospel is more important than any job I will ever have. At each job I have had, I try to do everything for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

I felt like my last job was a test to see if I was going to be obedient to God. Things seem to be clicking for me at this job. I only had a week to learn from my fore-runner what he learned in about 3 months. I've had to ask for some help along the way until I fully get a hold of things, but things look bright.

You most likely won't see me on the street during the week anymore, but I hope to set aside time on the weekends- if nothing else, Sunday mornings before service. Perhaps next year when it stays light until 9 I will be out on weeknights. It was pouring rain this morning and I wasn't out there, but hopefully next Sunday I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment