Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Conversation With Bob - 11/17/09



Today, I went to the intersection of Dover Center and Center Ridge in Westlake at 1:15 and snapped this not so appealing photograph. There was a bit of a wind blowing west, so I stood on the northwest side of the intersection. At 2:00, Bob approached me

He mentioned he got the message of the cross right away. He said he saw the sign, went home and read the Bible verse. I told him that so many people just believe, and he mentioned that it was repent and believe.

I told Bob we need to trust Jesus like a parachute on a plane. Merely believing in the parachute won't save you- one needs to strap on the parachute and jump from the plane. In the same sense, we need to strap on the Lord Jesus and abandon our sinful lifestyle.

Bob mentioned about repentance that we are supposed to participate in our salvation. While I admitted that our act of repentance (turning from our sins) was required, there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. I mentioned God has done nothing wrong when we turned away and sinned and therefore we need to turn back, but that we can't add anything to what Jesus had done for us on the cross- that was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins.

He said, "You know I thought about you the other day. I try to read my Bible a little every night, before I go to bed, and I read a passage about inviting people to the wedding and it said if the guests don't arrive, to invite everybody else. I thought, 'That's what this guy on the street corner is doing. He's inviting everybody else to the wedding feast, even though the ones who were invited may not go, so he's inviting the other people.' "

I added, "They need to make sure they have on the right wedding attire, too, when they get there."

He replied, "That's a good point."

I said, "To make sure they have the righteousness of Jesus applied to them."

I gave Bob a tract and also someone who appeared to be on their way home from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment