Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Conversation with John Paul and the Lakewood Police - 11/09/09



Yesterday, I went back to the intersection of Elmood and Detroit (and Andrews as another cross street) and I stayed out with the cross from about 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Normally I can only take up to 2 hours standing out there, but for some reason I was able to stay for 5 hours today.

A man named John Paul approached me and he was telling me a bit about his experiences with Christianity and how he was a victim of the modern gospel. I explained to him that the reason we need Jesus isn't because He will make our lives better, but because we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I told him if you look at the early church in Acts, you will see all of the apostles (with the exception of Paul, but quite possibly him too) were martyred.

I told John Paul that we have all lied, stolen, blasphemed, looked with lust (which Jesus said is adultery in the heart), and hated (which Jesus said is murder in the heart). We need Jesus as our Savior, not because He is going to make our life better.

John Paul mentioned he believed there were other ways beside Jesus. He mentioned it would be good if he could imagine God as a person. I told him he could- as Jesus Christ- He lived here on earth and He is God. I also told John Paul that Jesus said He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. I gave him a tract and told him to take a look at it.

I was also approached by the Lakewood Police. This was my first encounter with Lakewood law enforcement. The officer told me people were saying that I was acting a little crazy or saying some things. I told the officer I hadn't said anything except to a few people who passed by that talked to me. I told the officer that I've also dealt with the Westlake police and that people don't like the message of Christianity. He said, "that could be."

I told him I was just trying to get people to think about if they are ready to be judged by God. He asked me if I lived in Lakewood and I told him I reside in Westlake. He asked what brought me to Lakewood and I told him my pastor and I meet in Rocky River for coffee and I just continued down Detroit Road to this spot because it is a good location. I told him that every one needs to hear the gospel- and he said, "Can't argue with that."

The officer asked for my ID to know who he was talking with, which I showed him. I know I haven't done anything wrong, but I am not out here to cause any trouble. I would rather be on good terms with the police than being standoffish and create a problem.

The officer asked me if I was harassing anyone, and I told him I wasn't, although I do sometimes pass out gospel tracts. He mentioned he didn't know if something just happened or someone wasn't religious and called. I told him I get it and I expect it.

I also tried giving the officer a tract and he said he wasn't allowed to take it, but he is Baptist.

No comments:

Post a Comment