Monday, November 9, 2009

A Conversation with Solomon; Matt and Crystal; and Charlie - 11/08/09



Yesterday, I went to Sinagra Park in Lakewood at the intersection of Cook and Detroit in Lakewood. While I was there, a young man by the name of Solomon came by on his bike and stopped and inquired about the cross.

I went through the Good Person test with Solomon and he saw his guilt in the sight of God and how he should be sentenced to hell (just like everyone of us). I explained the necessity of faith and repentance and Solomon had quite a few questions.

Solomon asked how God would view something he had done previously, and I told him that if we accept Jesus as our Savior, that God won't even look at the past. It is taken care of through the blood of Jesus. I mentioned that isn't to say there may not be consequences for our past actions, but God is not going to judge us based on them. Everyone who does not accept Jesus as their Savior will be held accountable for their deeds, though.

Solomon asked me about people that have never heard the Gospel message, and I told him that we all have a conscience that tells us it is wrong to do things.

After about an hour, I moved to the intersection of Detroit and Elmwood because there was more pedestrian traffic in this area.

Shortly thereafter, a man wanted to see what the cross said, and I showed it to him and said, "It is appointed for man once to die and then comes judgment." I gave him a tract and he and his girlfriend crossed the street. A while later, he and his girlfriend approached me on the sidewalk again. Their names were Matt and Crystal.

They were curious about my church, and I gave them my pastor's business card and also directed them to our church website. I also gave them a Big Money tract which they liked. They inquired about if we printed the tracts ourselves, and I told them that we purchase the tracts.

At this point, I made sure to go through the law and gospel. I told Matt there is nothing I can do on my part to actually save a person- they have to do it themselves. I told Matt that we're all liars, thieves, blasphemers and how Jesus views lust as adultery in the heart and hate as murder in the heart.

"We are all guilty, and we should all go to hell, but Jesus died in our place. He tells to repent of our sins, place your trust in Him and you will be reborn. He will give you a new heart with new desires- it's what John 3 talks about."

I was rushing to get through it because they seemed to be in a bit of hurry.

"Do you guys have Bibles at home?"

"Do you got a Bible," Matt asked. I dug into my backpack and pulled out an ESV New Testament Outreach Bible and gave it to them. I told them I only had one on me, but that I would go to my car and get a second one for them, which I did.

A little while later, Charlie came up to me. I asked him if he was ready, and he replied, "I'm saved. He told me, "We have to build that relationship." I gave him a million dollar bill, and he said, "It takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing."

I told him about my inspiration for the cross (Tony Miano's cross) and how I added Mark 1:15, which were Jesus first words preaching: "The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel." I told Charlie I am trying to get people to understand that it is more than just believing- it's repentance also. Charlie told me that it's a total conversion- I agreed.

Charlie shared something he had written down in the sermon he heard in church. "If you give everything to God, but do not give yourself, you give nothing." I agreed again and quoted Matthew 10:39: "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." I told Charlie I am completely transformed from what I used to be and he said he is too, but that he has to keep it going.

I handed out about 10 tracts yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment