Friday, August 21, 2009

A Busy Day in Lakewood

Today, an elder from church (John) picked me up and we drove over to Madison Park in Lakewood. He brought Big Money (not Giant Money) tracts and pink and blue curved allusion cards with him, while I had my million and trillion dollar tracts. Although there is not as much vehicular traffic as the intersection I was at yesterday, there were occasionally people walking by on the sidewalk. I don't know exactly how many tracts we handed out, but I would say at least two dozen to people passing by.

I practiced reading the stop light preaching message I had typed out and taped to the back of my cross. It was good to actually do it in public (even if we weren't at a stop light) instead of just thinking about doing it.

John was on a roll witnessing to people. I stood with my cross directed at the traffic while John handed out tracts to people passing by on the sidewalk and engaged a few of them in conversation. John had a conversation with a man named Walter, who insisted that there was no way to know the truth. He said he had read the Bible and the Koran.

John gave a tract to a woman who asked him, "Is this going to tell me something sad?"

John also had a conversation with a young man named Manuel. Manuel told us he had aspirations of becoming an architect. Manuel knew about Jesus, but said if he were to die today, he would go to hell and that it did concern him. John presented the gospel message to him and asked him if he had any Bibles at home. He said he a few, to which John urged him to read the Gospel of John. John prayed for him before he went on his way.


Then there was Rebecca and her boyfriend and Rebecca's son. John had given them tracts the first time they passed by us, and the second time they passed by us, her boyfriend made a reference to John 3:16. John asked him what he knew about that, after which he went into the law and the gospel. The Holy Spirit appeared to be convicted them of something in their hearts. John prayed for them and their situation before they went on their way.

At this point, we drove over to Westlake to go to the intersection I was at yesterday. After being there for about five minutes, a man across the street crossed over to where we were and John gave him a gospel tract. He said he was saved and he seemed to have the correct language of a saved believer. He needed a ride four miles down the street to an RTA station. I was hesitant about going along with this and offered to walk home (I was about a little over a mile away from home at this point), but John told me to come along- so I did. After dropping the man off, John told me that he is pretty sure this is a man that our church had encountered before when our church was at a different location (and before I started attending). I'm thankful nothing went awry.

No comments:

Post a Comment