Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Front of an Abortion Clinic

Frank, who approached me earlier today (see "What a Blessed Day!" post), invited me to the twice weekly demonstration in front of Planned Parenthood in Rocky River. I viewed this as another place to display my cross and possibly as a witnessing pond.

I showed up around 7:00 and approached one of the guys with a large sign (about 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide) with a picture of an aborted fetus on it. His name was Fred.

Fred is the chairman of "Stop Abortion in Rocky River." The majority of the people that are a part of the group are Catholic, but there was a man who wore a sign that said "Pro-Life Atheist." While I did ask Fred questions about abortion, I tried to center my speech around the gospel at all times. I told Fred that while abortion is murder, there are 150,000 people that die each die, most headed straight for hell.

I have mixed feelings about this experience. His group does get its fair share of hecklers passing by (in the form of fowl language and obscene gestures). One man even pulled up and go out of his SUV and confronted Fred. He asked Fred who was in charge, and he said "Jesus Christ" - more on that later. I have been blessed to not have this happen to me yet, or at least I haven't noticed it or identified it. I have had just the opposite- encouragement, as I did today.

The man was upset over the graphic nature of the pictures being displayed and young children being able to see them. After this man was finished ridiculing the pro-lifers, I showed him my cross and asked him if he had a problem with it. He said no, that mine was fine. I asked him if he had a Christian background, and he said he did. I pressed him more about it, and he told me he was agnostic. I offered him a gospel tract, but he refused.

My cross was actually dwarfed by Fred's sign and I'm not sure how many people on the street saw it. There were an abundance of large anti-abortion signs and my cross was not as noticeable as it normally is. In fact, standing next to Fred's sign, it was not noticeable to a lot of traffic.

While I appose abortion, I made it clear that I was here to promote the gospel and the exclusivity of Jesus Christ. Fred agreed with all my points, including the necessity of repentance. The rosary was being recited by others in the near distance. Fred had a rosary in his hand, but I did not feel like this was the place to press him on that.

I told Fred I wanted to be like the Apostle Paul and to "know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." Fred agreed, but him as a Catholic, I know this is not the case (especially with someone holding the rosary and it is being recited in the near distance).

As the sun set and the night was wrapping up, Fred wanted to introduce me to the rest of the group. One of the people in the group was a Catholic Apologetic. It was quickly known to the group that I was not Catholic and indeed an ex-Catholic. Someone asked me about what version of the Bible I had and what Mark 1:15 was. The Catholic Apologetic mentioned John 6 and I knew exactly where this discussion was going to go: the Eucharist.

I tried referencing Hebrews 7:27 and and Hebrews 10:10, but he insisted that on taking John 6 literally as the actual body and blood of Christ. We talked briefly about it, but it was obvious that I wasn't budging on my stance and neither was he. He and one other person invited me to come back home to the Catholic church.

Todd Friel had a question from a listener today on whether it is ok for a Christian to attend a Catholic marriage ceremony. While he said he thought it was ok to attend the ceremony, Friel said he would not participate if asked because that would show his approval of the doctrine- something he clearly does not.

I do not know if I will return to the abortion clinic with the cross while the pro-life group is there. I clearly do not approve of the Catholic doctrine. I found myself limited in being able to talk about witnessing techniques because the man with the "Pro-Life Atheist" sign was about five to ten feet away.

This atheist must have assumed I was out to support their anti-abortion movement because he seemed to have no problem with my cross. Which leads me to my next question. Who am I being associated with by standing with this group? I understand Fred wanting to unite people against abortion, but I have to ask, is it ok to do it at the expense of religion?

Granted, my message and Fred's message are different in regards to salvation, but is it ok for a Catholic and an atheist to unite for a common cause? More so, is it ok for a Christian (me) ok to unite with this group? Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Well Mark. Kuddo's to you for even going into that battlefeild. Abortion is wrong no matter how one gets pregnant. You being out there is a good thing. I believe the enemy would have you quit going there. perhaps you are to witness to someone there who knows outright what you stand for. You have no rosary, you can keep one track steady in witnessing, I don't think you are partnering at all. You are there to proclaim the Gospel and if you can open air preach that would be the best thing to do. Evil is stopped or at least slowed by the preacing of the Gospel and leave it to God to open the minds of those who hear you. "How will they hear if no one goes and preaches the Word to them?" Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God! God bless you in this endeavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,
    This is Fred the Pro-Lifer from Rocky River Planned Parenthood. I am happy I found you on the web. I was looking for you again on Tuesday and you didn't come. You pointed out I pray the Rosary. You held a Cross with a numbered Bible Chapter and Verse. I am a Catholic you a non Catholic. Yet we both respected each other for that. I introduced you to my friends. Unfortunately one got out of hand. I apologize for that. Yes as you said many go to hell every day. That is good you look out for the spiritual well being of others. I look out for the physical well being of the unborn. Both the physical and spiritual are created by God. That means as God's Servants we have a duty to care for the body and soul of God's Creation, Mankind. That is what we both do. I see a connection there between you Mark and Myself. We are both God's Ministers acting in His place here on Earth. It would be a shame if we could not work together in front of Rocky River Planned Parenthood. While you work to save souls and I work to save the unborn baby from being aborted and murdered. I respectfully ask you to come back and give us another chance. I will not be at Rocky River Planned Parenthood this coming Tuesday but every Tuesday after that. Please come, I and my fellow pro-lifers would love to have you stand with us. You are always welcome. Your Friend, Fred Sokol, Rocky River, Ohio

    ReplyDelete