Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Time Alone With the Cross on the Street



This morning started off with an awful cramp in my neck that started the night before. My neck started to hurt right after I picked my spot in Lakewood to display the cross and I decided I was going to read from Scripture there. I could barely move my neck this morning, but once I got out of bed, it felt better (although it still hurts to rotate it).

I was joining my pastor for support of his open air at Lakewood Park at 12:30. I left a little early to scope out Lakewood- there were two locations I wanted to check on. I didn't go with the first one because there was no free public parking around. I won't park in public shopping centers, even if they don't have signs posted prohibiting it.

I had stuck some gospel tracts in my Bible (a small ESV New Testament) and realized I left it at home. My pastor had an extra Bible with him which I initially took, but then I gave it back thinking I would go back home and just go to another street in Westlake (where I live). I ended up staying in Lakewood and going to the location I picked last night with no Bible (although I did have tracks in my wallet).

I went to Madison Park in Lakewood. I noticed the area was under video surveillance by the police department. I know I am within my first amendment rights, but I still get nervous from time to time. A few patrol cars drove by during my time there and didn't stop.

I sat on a guard rail that separated a public parking lot and the sidewalk. A woman named Amelia asked me, "Ready for What?" and I took her through the law. There was a little bit of a language barrier at times, but I was able to proclaim repentance and to trust in Jesus. I am pretty sure she left with a gospel tract.

A few younger boys who appeared to be on their way to the pool stopped and asked me the same question and I went through the law and gospel. It amuses me how younger people won't admit to doing something, but their friend standing right there is willing to rat them out! Looking back, I realized I should have just given them gospel tracts and had them read them instead of actually taking them through the presentation.

At this point, I decided to only give younger kids gospel tracts if they asked me what the cross meant. I should have been passing out gospel tracts to everyone, but I didn't start doing that until about halfway through, and I still avoided some people (out of my own cowardace) and some of the younger kids. I did get one rejection from a man in a tie.

Another man got a tract who was on his way to the store. He said he had already recieved one that had a million dollars on it from someone else. On his return, he told me that they didn't have the spices he needed. I told him I couldn't help him.

Looking back on this today, I want to always have gospel tracts ready, give younger kids gospel tracts and do not take them through the law (even if they are old enough to be roaming the streets on their own), and make sure I have my Bible next time to read!

1 comment: