Saturday, October 3, 2009

Encounters With the Police

I have had two experiences with the police- both times were with officers of the Westlake Police Department. The first time an officer asked me to consider not being out with my cross immediately following school hours and someone called the police a few days ago while I was out saying I was making gestures.

With both encounters, the officers made it clear that what I was doing was not wrong, and the second time the officer said they have no problem with what I'm doing. After the officer told me why he had stopped and I told him that I hadn't been doing the things alleged, the officer left.

So far, I have only had positive experiences with the police. When I am approached by the police, I am not nervous and am friendly with the officers. I know I'm not doing anything wrong and there is nothing for me to be nervous about. I also understand the police are here to protect and serve and are just doing their job, even if it someone lied about me making gestures.

I am assuming they were said to be obscene gestures- I occasionally wave or give a thumbs up to people who give them to me, but I can't see the police responding to a call because the "cross guy" smiled and waved to me. Making obscene gestures while holding a cross would contradict the message I am promoting, and I'm sure the police know that and just have to respond to the call. After this officer left, I stood with my cross for another hour and a half with no problems.

If you are out on the streets with a cross or evangelizing, know your rights if you are approached by law enforcement, but please also be respectful of the police. I know that I am not doing anything illegal and there is no reason for me to be nervous when the police approach me. I also understand they are just doing their job. I will probably be approached by the police in the future, and I want to make it a habit to thank the officers for their service to the community.

Remember Romans 13:3-4: "For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer." If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the wisdom and encouragement brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark - thanks for your faithfulness to go and stand up for Jesus by taking the cross out. You are an encouragement to me to do likewise!

    ReplyDelete