Thursday, October 1, 2009

Police Called On Me - 10/01/09



Today was a lot nicer than yesterday- the temps were in the upper 50's or lower 60's and the wind was very light (barely noticeable). I arrived at the intersection of Center Ridge and Columbia in Westlake around 12:30.

After no more than 15 or 20 minutes, a Westlake Police officer drop by and motioned for me to come over to his car. I offered a warm, "Hi," and he told me that he had received a call that I had been making gestures as cars were going by. I told him that wasn't true and that I was just standing there, silently. I do occasionally wave to people if they wave to me or give a thumbs up, but nothing obscene.

He asked me if I was taking pictures, too (I bring along a tripod so I can set up my camera and set it off by remote). I told him that I like to document where I go. I told him again I wasn't making any gestures and was just trying to warm people or their impending judgment. I told him we never know when we're going to die. He answered, "Absolutely. We have no problem with that." I told him that I am sure there are people opposed to the message (obviously). I did not try to give the officer a tract (another Westlake officer told me they weren't allowed to accept anything), but I wish I would have tried.

I had a man ask if the message on the cross was in reference to Judgment Day. I told him it was. He told me he was ready, although God would find him guilty. I am assuming that since he said he is ready for Judgment Day and he acknowledges his guilt that he also knows of the forgiveness offered through Jesus' blood. I think I also told him to look up Mark 1:15 and do what it says.

Two younger people drove by and sneered at me "God doesn't exist. You're wasting your time."

Another woman also asked me what Mark 1:15 is, and I told her- "The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the Gospel." She said she would look it up. I passed out a Big Money tract to someone passing by, but missed a few other opportunities to hand out tracts. I stayed at this location for 2 hours today. I'm not sure how much longer I will have the opportunity to be out on the street and also the winter is right around the corner.

3 comments:

  1. We're dealing with the same thing. (Winter) guess we just have to dress warmer huh? Sounds like the cops weren't any trouble though, so thats cool!! You're an inspiration brother. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like whoever placed the call had an axe to grind. Whoever it was "watched" you making gestures, then called the cops and the cop came - all within 15 minutes?? Maybe that intersection has some weird time vortex or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cross is my winter evangelism in WV! I just gotta bring some hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete