Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Catholic Says: We Do Not Pray To Mary

Anyone who goes to a Catholic church is familiar with the Hail Mary. I grew up in a Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic church and this is how I remember reciting it:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for our sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

I don't know how any one can say this isn't praying to Mary. When we pray to Jesus, aren't we asking things of him? In the prayer above, people are asking Mary to pray for sinners. How can one say that asking Mary for something isn't praying to her? This is clearly idolatry.

Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." Except through who? Jesus. Not Mary. Jesus.

Here is what 1 Corinthians 6 has to say about idolaters:
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Repent today and trust in your Savior alone for your salvation!

5 comments:

  1. Here is the question though. If we are all born in God's image, wouldn't that make Mary a part of God? That being said, we wouldn't be praying to Mary as Mary, but to Mary as a part of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on that logic:
    If I am born in God's image, if I am part of God- should you pray to me? It doesn't make sense.

    God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Not Mary. Not anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if Mary wasn't someone important in God's eyes, why would God trust her to bear His one and only son?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not denying her role- but it is no reason to pray or worship her.

    Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura Predan Repetowski (your facebook friend)September 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM

    Mark the Scripture you quoted is accurate for your response to 'Anonymous'. But there is another one that I find helps me out and gives me NO doubt as to whom we should pray to and I think you will agree.
    1 TIMOTHY 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

    ReplyDelete