Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Time Stoplight Preaching With the Cross

Today, John, an elder from church, came over to pick me up and we went to intersection of Dover Center and Lorain in North Olmsted. We arrive around 12:30. I loaded up my camera backpack with my ESV New Testament and the Evidence Bible and completely forgot the backpack.

We had two signs today: my cross and another sign that read "NEEDGOD.COM" with about 7 inch lettering. John pointed out it was a little hard to read since both words butt up against each other, so I will have to make an adjustment to it. We took turns holding each sign, depending on who was stop light preaching.

John wanted me to start stop light preaching, which I have never done. I told him to go first. He took my cross and read the stop light preaching message I had typed up and taped in the reverse side of the cross:

"Listen up! Have you ever told a lie? Stolen anything? Taken the Lord's name in vain? Lusted after another? We've all done these things. We're all lying, thieving, blaspheming, adulterers at heart. We will all stand guilty before God on Judgment Day, and He would rightly send us to Hell for all of eternity. Here is the good news. The Bible tells us that if we repent of our sins- that is, to turn away from them- and place our trust in Jesus Christ, we can be saved from the fires of Hell and have eternal life in Heaven. Please go to NEEDGOD.COM to read how to be saved."

Here is the audio of John:


I also took my cross and read the same message to a different set of cars stopped at the light another time. We only had about 30 seconds before the cars in the turning lane got the green arrow.

Here is the audio of me:


I'm glad John went with me today, because he pushed me to do stop light preaching. It wasn't as hard as I thought once I started doing it. There was a moment when I was reading right before we left when a dog with its head stuck out a window starting imitating me talking. We used to have a lab mix at home growing up that used to do the same thing and I couldn't help but start laughing as this dog was doing this.

We handed out a total of five tracts today.

1 comment:

  1. Great Job.. way to get out there and preach it... I did my first stop light about 2 weeks ago.. Proud of you! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete