Monday, September 7, 2009

Life in the Catholic Church

The Catholic Church teaches that if you die with a mortal sin without going to confession and confessing it, they are going to Hell. This is directly quoted from Catholic.com:

Question: Does the Catholic church teach that someone dying with mortal sin always goes to hell? With so many unexpected deaths, accidents, there must be a second chance to say "I'm sorry."

Answer: At the last moment it may be possible to repent. But some people die so quickly that they may not have that moment. If a person dies as God’s enemy—which is what we are in mortal sin—then he goes to hell by his own choice. Most of us have had a lifetime to choose him.

Does this sound like someone who is "Dead to Sin, Alive to God" (Romans 6)?

I have noticed recently that I have become quite a legalist and I feel like I am constantly sinning. Then I feel like if I don't confess my sin right away, that I will be going to Hell. The remnants of Catholicism are still there.

This is not someone who is free to serve God, but someone who is living in constant fear of going to Hell and walking around on egg shells all day. This has actually prevented me from going out with my cross- which is exactly what the enemy wants. How could I display a cross asking, "Are You Ready?" when I don't feel ready myself?

Someone once told me this about confession: "Say what you want, but the fact that I have to confess my sins to a priest makes me think twice before committing them." If that is the only motivation to not sin, there is a serious problem.

We are called to confess our sins (1 John 1:9), but this act of confession is merely another "work." Imagine a criminal who stands in front of a judge who confesses to a crime. Will his confession nullify the need for his punishment? Of course not!

For me, life in the Catholic Church was about keeping the Law. When you break it, if you don't confess before you die, they say you go to Hell (see above- their words, not mine). It was about what you did not do- not about the things I did for God.

In his book “Go and Sin No More: A Call to Holiness,” Dr. Michael L. Brown talks about the difference between holiness and legalism. “Holiness,” Brown explains, “is being like Jesus in thought, word and deed. As Samuel Lucas noted, ‘The essence of true holiness consists in conformity to the nature and will of God.’” He also describes legalism. “It has several different forms, but all of them flow from the same source, namely, religion without relationship, emphasizing standards more than the Savior. To an unsaved person the legalist preaches justification by works, saying, ‘You’re a wicked sinner and you need to get rid of all your filthy habits if you want the Lord to accept you.’ There is no in grace in this message, no exalting of the life-changing, sin-cleansing power of the blood of Jesus, no clear proclamation of mercy. The declaration of God’s love express through the Cross is muffled- if it is even heard at all. Consequently, the proof of the new birth is seen almost entirely in what someone no longer does.”

To give a good analogy of holiness and legalism (like Catholicism), Brown continues,

“Let me illustrate this with the amusing story or two farmers who had a talk about Christianity. One of them said to his friend, ‘I hear that you’re a Christian.’

‘That’s right,’ the other replied.

‘Well, what does it mean to be a Christian?’ the curious farmer asked.

‘Well, I don’t drink, smoke, or run around with women.’

‘In the case,’ the friend responded, ‘my mule must be a Christian too, because my mule doesn’t drink, smoke, or run around with women!’”

Do you see the difference? When I ask someone what it means to be a Christian, they should tell me they have sinned against a holy God and their just reward is hell, but God loved us so much that He sent His One and only Son to die for our sins. If we will repent of our sins and place our trust in Jesus alone, we can have eternal life. This is a different message than just telling someone what not to do.

Here is what the Bible says about the Law:

Romans 3:21: "But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law."
Galatians 2:19: "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God."
Galatians 3:19: "Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions."

Romans 3 tells us that "For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Galatians 3:10-11: "For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.' Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for 'The righteous shall live by faith.'"

Galatians 3:21-22: "Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe."

There is no salvation in keeping the Law, because none of us have kept it!

Romans 5:21: "Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men."

The idea that I am justified by going to confession with a Catholic priest is repulsive to me. I am justified through Christ's blood- not the act of going to confession in a Catholic church. Christ dying for my sins was not enough?

Galatians 2:21: "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment