Thursday, September 17, 2009

First Time Questioned By Police



Today, I went back to Dover Center and Detroit. I incorrectly wrote that I went here yesterday, but I was actually at Dover Center and Center Ridge. The last time I was at this intersection was about 2 weeks ago on 9/4/09. I arrived at 2:30 and today started out great.

One woman motioned for me to move my sign so she could read it (it was pointed at moving traffic at the time) and she replied, "Any time!" I had a high school student cross Detroit and told me what I was doing was awesome. I gave him a tract and he said they have the same tracts at his church.

A little later, a woman pulled up and gave me a sheet of paper, told me she had come across it and just wanted me to take a look at it and that I've inspired them. It was from TruthForLife.org, an Allister Begg website. I often times hear Begg on Wretched Radio and am quite a fan of him. On it, she wrote, "To the young man on the corners.. you inspire me! Praise the Lord!!! And may He bless you!" It was an email she had received from their "Truth For Life Daily" series. Here is a link to the devotional. It talked about using creative methods to reach the lost. I really appreciate receiving things like this and it is truly a blessing. I gave her a gospel tract as she left.

Another man pulled up and told me that he saw me on Center Ridge and had to go home and look up the verse on my cross. He said, "The time is fulfilled!" I gave him a gospel tract and encouraged him to read the back side of it.

Around 3:15, a Westlake police officer pulled up. He asked me what I was doing, and I told him promoting the gospel. He asked if he could see my license just to make sure I didn't have a record (I don't). He asked me if this was my job and I told him I was just doing what was commanded in the Bible. He told me he hasn't seen people with these kind of signs and I told him that only 2% of Evangelicals do share their faith.

He was concerned that kids would be distracted by reading my sign when they were crossing the street- which is a valid concern, but I quickly pointed out that there are signs everywhere. He told me I could display the sign any other time, but he preferred not between 2:30 and 3:30, when school kids are walking home. I understand this concern, but I also know this a very high traffic time and a lot of people are seeing the sign.

I told him I would consider what he was saying and that I would pray about it, because there are a lot of people that need saved, but I also understand his concern for the safety of the students. He suggested holding my sign farther away from the intersection. I asked him if he was ordering me to move, and he told me he was not. He inquired about my tripod, and I told him that I like to document where I go.

After our conversation, the officer left and left me pondering what to do. He wouldn't take a gospel tract- he said he couldn't take anything. I placed my sign flat down on the sidewalk, set up my tripod, snapped a picture with my sign, and went home. On my way home, I was praying about what I should do. Should I heed the officer's advice and only go after school hours? Legally, I do have a right to be there, but I am also concerned for the safety of others.

I see the people driving by when I stand at these intersections- people on their phones, people looking down when the light turns green, and people texting while driving. I have seen the girls in skimpy clothing promoting car washes for their schools. I have seen the furniture companies with their signs advertising sales practically every weekend.

There really aren't that many kids that cross in the crosswalk at this intersection or even at the one at Dover Center and Center Ridge. There is not a cross walk guard at this intersection. One idea I had was to assist the people in the crosswalk while I am there. I don't know if I would be legally allowed to assist people crossing the street without being an official crosswalk guard. Or should I just not go at those hours?

Monday was my first time open air preaching with John- I was not doing that today. I don't know if that was a good thing or not.

6 comments:

  1. The officer's real concern is that you will cause him extra work through tensions you might create for what you are propagating. It may be better to just open air preach or distribute tracts. If you are going to fight for something it should be more than a sign that is really too vague to clearly convey the gospel anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not stop what you are doing! You are inspiring others. I would still go between the hours of 230 and 330, if you think that is the best time to reach people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it dude!!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I think we need more people like you standing on every corner! Think of all the garbage that's on TV, radio, signs...messages being bombarded at us that are so dishonoring to God...please don't stop Mark. You are a blessing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, since the officer was not detaining you for a violation of the law, he did not have the right/authority to ask for your identification. Your contact with the officer, as you described it, is known as a "consentual encounter." Since you were free to leave (not being detained) you were under no obligation to provide identification or answer any of the officers questions. Of course, by cooperating in your particular case, it sounds like

    Second, the officers "preference" is irrelevant. What matters is whether or not you are violating the law by standing on a public sidewalk, holding a cross. The answer is, of course, no.

    Third, the possibility that you "may" be a distraction to motorists or pedestrians is also irrelevant, so long as your activity is not a violation of law; and it's nothing more than the officers attempt to make you go away.

    Don't quit, brother! Press on! :-)

    ReplyDelete