Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Columbia and Center Ridge in Westlake - 9/22/09



Today, I went to a new location in Westlake- the intersection of Columbia and Center Ridge. Both roads are five lanes at this intersection and one of the Corporate Colleges of Cuyahoga Community College is at this intersection (as seen in photo).

I arrived around 12:00 and stayed until 1:45. Even during the middle of the day, traffic at this location (as well as a lot of others in Westlake) is moderately busy. I time the light and it was usually one minute for one street and 45 seconds for the other. I counted the number of cars that went through the intersection at each green light, and I would conservatively say that 25 cars on average went through.

If I take that number times 90 minutes (from 12:15 to 1:45), that's 2,250 cars that passed through the intersection- at midday. For as many professing Christians as there are in the United States, I rarely get anyone waving or beeping their horn. It was no more than a dozen today out of 2,250. Even if I use 12 out of 2,250, that's about one half of one percent.

1 Corinthians 1:18 comes to mind: "For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

2 comments:

  1. Mark - I appreciate your continued updates on your experiences. I love the stats here on the number of people who saw the cross. When I consider "bang for the buck" that is a lot of people who saw the cross and the Gospel message in just 90 minutes. You have inspired me. I have three 2x4's and some stencils. I am preparing to make my own cross and try this out.
    God Bless,
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's amazing is that is only midday. The most bang for my buck was at the Komen Race for the Cure when over 20,000 participants in the race saw the cross in about an hour and a half!

    http://clevelandcross.blogspot.com/2009/09/komen-race-for-cure-over-20000-people.html

    ReplyDelete